Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Welcome to Rationally Christian

Hi, welcome to Rationally Christian. I would just like to start out by saying that this blog is dedicated to rational conversations about Christianity. I found that there needed to be a place for atheists, theists, agnostics, skeptics, etc., to come together and talk about their beliefs in a place where they won't be harassed or mocked for stating their opinions. I will base my articles and comments on two very important verses in Scripture, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and body," and "Love your neighbor as yourself." I hope that you will feel comfortable to share you views with me, no matter what the subject may be, and whether you agree with me or not. There is no greater danger, in my opinion, than silencing someone's beliefs or questions in regards to the truth claims of Christianity. I ask that everybody, myself included, will think hard about what they believe and why they think they are justified in their beliefs. It's a very important topic for consideration. Why do you believe what you believe, and are your beliefs rationally justified? This is very important and I'm sure you feel the same as I about this. Anyway, thank you for visiting and WELCOME TO RATIONALLY CHRISTIAN!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found you through John Loftus's blog. I wonder now how many blogs there are where a mixed group of people can comment. I don't know if you're familiar with nakedpastor.com. That's one where there is a mix.

I'm a former Christian, now agnostic. When I started openly questioning things at my church, I quickly realized they weren't open to that. I still cared for them, yet realized their relationship with me was not nearly as important to them as their precious doctrine. So I quietly left.

So here I am. Finding places on the internet to be a real person vs. just a lady sitting there nodding her head at all the stuff said at church. I'm definitely done with that.

What I'm curious about is-have the churches noticed this new trend-or is it not that big yet-just feels big to me cause it's where I'm at right now? I would have given some honest feedback at my own church, but I think they just saw me as a poor woman who let the devil get ahold of her and they should pray for me now and then. Very disrespectful attitude in my opinion. Showing respect to someone shows that you care and that you aren't deluded enough to think you know it all.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on. Will check out your blog.

Joel Varner said...

Hi Lynn, thank you for your comment! I understand where you are coming from. There are some churches out there where questions are frowned upon. I believe it is because they may not have the answers to your questions. I'm sure churches have noticed, at least the ones that don't allow questions. I personally didn't grow up in a church like that. I was always able to question my faith and to ask hard questions. I don't believe it's biblical to not justify your faith or to explain the reasons why you believe to those asking. Peter says, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." 1 Peter 3:15-16. That is an important verse for me and I hope it resonates with you. In Acts 17:16 you can also read about Paul in Athens debating Stoic and Epicurian philosophers and explaining to them why they should believe in one God and the resurrection of Jesus. I hope you come back soon and read some of my articles and bring up questions I haven't addressed as of yet. Thank you and God bless!

Anonymous said...

Joel,

Thanks for your kind welcome. Just one request-could you have more paragraph breaks in your writing? I find myself skimming if paragraphs get too long. Thanks.

And your profile says you love to read. So do I!

Joel Varner said...

Lynn,

Thank you for your input! I will definately work on making my paragraphs shorter and easier to read. And I'm happy to hear that you love to read!!!